Cooked green bananas are well-known in Central America, South America, the Pacific Islands, Africa, Caribbean, and any where they grow bananas. You may want to start eating more cooked green bananas because the health benefits of the alkaline fruit are incredible.
Cooked green bananas are loaded with minerals that are very important for the body. The fruit are rich in potassium which helps lower blood pressure, helps with stress, builds strong bones, prevent strokes, and boosts the metabolism.
What more, cooked green bananas are inexpensive, contains curative powers and taste great!
Health Benefits of Cooked Green Bananas:
1. Anti-Diarrhea Food
Studies published in the Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal reported that cooked green bananas are very effective against diarrhea, and diseases such as shigellosis.
If you have diarrhea consuming cooked green banana will end it fast. Various research studies showed that cooked green bananas worked well for treating diarrhea.
Cooked green bananas were very effective for the treatment of diarrhea, in a study with almost 3,000 children in Bangladesh.
2. Colon Health
Resistant starch or short chain fatty acids are very important for colon health, and helps in the treatment of IBS, colitis, and other colon diseases.
In fact there is a protocol known as “Green Banana Therapy“, that is about consuming cooked green banana, 30 minutes before eating any other food in order to prevent colon problems.
Eating cooked green bananas is a simple, but quick way of taking care of your colon. Also, cooked green bananas add fiber into your diet, slow down your digestive tract, and contain fiber that is beneficial to the probiotic bacteria in your colon.
As per the National Institute of Health, short chain fatty acids are known for preventing colon cancer. Also, cooked green bananas contain large amounts of pectin, which is important for treating constipation and gut motility.
3. Loaded with Vitamins
Cooked green bananas are loaded with vitamin B-6, which is important for every enzyme reaction in your body, your metabolism and also contain lots of potassium that is essential for preventing strokes, lowering your blood pressure, builds strong bones, helps with stress, plays an important role in water balance, boosts metabolism, and for heart, brain, and kidney function.
Green bananas also contain Vitamin C, which is a powerful anti-oxidant that boosts your immune system and prevents disease.
4. Weight Loss
Cooked green bananas are great for weight loss because they are filled with “Resistant Starch”, that does not break down in your GI tract, helps lower cholesterol and blood sugar.
Cooked green bananas are low in calories and carbs, high in water, and help your body absorb more calcium. Also, cooked green bananas help in burning more fat and boosting your metabolism.
Healthy Ways to Cook Green Bananas:
1. Boiled Green Bananas
1. Fill a large pot with about two-thirds full of water and add a dash of salt.
2. Bring the water to a boil using medium-high heat.
3. Put the whole, unpeeled green bananas into the boiling water.
4. Boil for at least 20 minutes or until the bananas are soft enough to be easily pierced using a fork.
5. Remove the bananas from the boiling water.
6. Make a lengthwise slit into the banana peel, using a paring knife.
7. Remove the peel from each banana.
8. Serve as a side dish with pork or fish meals.
2. Bake Green Bananas
4 ripe sweet plantains
1 dairy-free margarine
Pinch of salt (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice the ends of each plantain. Then vertically score one side of each from tip to tip. Remember not to open the plantain; and just slit it to allow steam to escape.
3. Using an aluminum foil, wrap each plantain and put them on a baking sheet.
4. Put the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes.
5. Unwrap the plantains, remove the peel, and slice them to serve. You can toss with margarine and salt.