Stomach crunches were once the biggest trend when it comes to having a flat tummy. But these days, there’s something new that’s taking the fitness world by storm: stomach vacuuming.
This exercise that’s been on the spotlight for quite some time now is actually just a breathing exercise that not only strengthens the deepest muscle in your abdomen called the transverse abdominis, but also activates it.
The exercise is quite simple: you just need to contract that muscle. If you do it right, you can have a slimmer waistline and enjoy other benefits, including improved posture and reduced lower back pain.
In clinical settings, the stomach vacuum exercise is called the abdominal drawing in maneuver. Although it is one of the hottest trends these days, it is actually not a new approach in looking slimmer. Since it is focused on breathing, stomach vacuum is actually a pillar of both Pilates and yoga.
How to Do the Stomach Vacuum
If you’re a beginner and you plan to do this exercise on your own at home, you should start with its most basic move known as the supine stomach vacuum. Here are the steps:
- Roll onto your back.
- Keep your knees bent with your feet flat on the ground.
- Exhale as intensely as you can.
- Pull your belly button in, as if you’re trying to let it reach your spine.
- Hold that position for at least 15 seconds.
- Strive to keep the position until you can squeeze your tummy up to 60 minutes.
- Take small breaths whenever you need to.
- Repeat for three to five times.
Some Tips for Stomach Vacuum Exercise
- It helps if you do the exercise in the morning while you’re still in bed.
- This exercise works really great when done regularly on an empty stomach.
- Try very hard to pull your stomach in with such intensity of the contraction, so that the exercise will be effective.
- Once you’re past being a beginner, you can make the move harder. One method is instead of on your bed, you can use a chair. Sit up straight in a chair that has no arm or back rest. Another method is through the use of a Swiss ball.
This move should be done daily to help you shape up. Make sure you don’t completely rely on it though. As with other ways to become slimmer, you still need to eat healthy and keep up with your other workouts. Soon, you will see and feel the difference in just a few weeks.